Established 2001

Home
History
Contact
Equipment
Group Tours
What's New
Supporters Page
Links
Photo Gallery

 Picture of Font in stick:
 33pt Caxtonian -c.1880


Some printing terms to recall:

galley, key, stone,  signature, stock, dog, mid, magenta, dis, quarto, em, rule, stick, chapel, matrix, stereo, slug, proof press, scoring, ream, spine, cast, hickey, bone, sett off, back knife, ragged, recto, point, Royal, ejector, quoin,  wf reader spread, quadder, calliper, line gauge, die,  super caster, disser, em,  cutting rule, diecase, thin, mounting block, card, nut, mark up, stet, leader, full point, punchbar, half tone, folios, logotype, EN,
 PIca Pole
 

This site designed and administered by
Stique

Last Update:

03 July, 2010

 

 

 

 

 

The story of the Penrith Museum of Printing begins with Alan Connell, the founder of the museum who had a desire back in 1987 to put together a "working museum" of printing machinery and equipment.

As the story goes, many years had to pass before Alan's dream was able to be fully realised. The Penrith Museum of Printing was officially opened on the 2 June 2001, by Ms Jackie Kelly, M.P. for Lindsay, the then Minister for Sport and Tourism.

A large proportion of the machinery and equipment on display originally started its working life in the Nepean Times Newspaper in Penrith, NSW Australia. For further information on the history of the Nepean Times see article below.

The Nepean Times proprietors Roger and Pat Colless gave several items of the printing equipment to Alan Connell for his purposes and so commenced the museum. 

From its earliest beginnings, the museum has continued to develop and expand its collection by relying on donations, gifts and community goodwill for its survival. 

To you all, we say a big, THANK YOU.

Alan Connell 
(Founder)

 

       

 

 

     



 

 

 

 

  

 

 

The Nepean Times - "A brief history"  

The Nepean Times newspaper operated in Penrith NSW from its opening in1882
till its closure as a newspaper publisher in 1962.


Many of Penrith's older residents will remember when Penrith had only one newspaper,
the Nepean Times, which ceased publication in November 1962. First published on
March 3, 1882, the Nepean Times was the second newspaper to be printed in the
Penrith area.

Penrith's first newspaper was the Penrith Argus, begun in 1881 by
Mr. W. S. Walker on behalf of his employer, Mr. W. Webb, who at that time also
owned the Campbelltown Herald.

The following year the Nepean Times appeared, and with it the Penrith Argus was incorporated. 

The old building in Station Street was the third premises occupied by the Nepean Times
printery and was used by the original proprietor's grandson, Roger Colless, until his printing
business ceased around 1987.

Alfred Colless was mayor of Penrith when he established the Nepean Times in 1882, the first
paper being printed in a general store on the corner of High and Station Streets by a
William Joseph Rhodes, who had also printed the earlier Penrith Argus for Mr. Webb.

A few months later, the business was transferred to larger premises in High Street,
then known as Besley's Building.

In March 1895, the Nepean Times business was transferred again to a Station Street
building where the paper continued to be produced until it ceased publication in 1962.

When Alfred Colless died in 1921, the newspaper business passed to his son,
Alfred Sydney Colless, father of Roger.

In 1952, the high standards set by the paper were recognised when it was awarded
the WO Richards Trophy by the NSW Country Press Association for the best weekly
newspaper in NSW.

Local historians have only begun to appreciate the tremendous contributions made
by the Colless family in recording the area's early history.

It seems as though they were always aware of the importance of recording the
reminiscences of early settlers, supplying detailed descriptions of significant local
events and always including many important articles on the area's history.

Fortunately, with the co-operation of the Colless family and the Mitchell Library, the
newspaper is now on microfilm at Penrith City Library, where it remains the central
core of the Library's local history collection.

 

Source: Penrith City e-history

 
 

 

<