The Penrith Museum of Printing
We will operate Sundays only at this point in time and commence from 10am.
All COVID19 precautions will be implemented, ie Social Distancing, Sanitiser on arrival, registering your attendance, cleaning etc.
Numbers will be limited to ten visitors at any one time to ensure Social Distancing is achieved.
Tours will also recommence by appointment only and limited to ten guests.
Contact us: 0415 625 573
The Penrith Museum of Printing is back open
GOOD NEWS --- WE'RE BACK !
After several months of being closed because of the Covid-19 pandemic, the museum has finally re-opened to the public. The museum went through a thorough deep clean and general tidy-up before re-opening and has as per regulations formulated a Covid-safe plan. Hand sanitising is available as is the 1.5 metre spacing.
The museum opened on Sunday, 28th June to a large number of visitors, all keen to get out and about again, after self-isolating and for a short time will open each Sunday. When the regulations are relaxed somewhat the museum will open on Saturdays as well.
Group tours are again available by arrangement, but limited to 12 people at a time.
After some four months self-isolating, the volunteers are also keen to "get back to it" and welcome the opportunity to show visitors the letterpress printing process using equipment from the early 1840's thought to more recent times, the mid 1950's.
On display will be a selection of hand-set type and very early type-setting machines, printing on a Gutenberg inspired press, built in 1864," to a 1960's Heidelberg
About the Penrith Museum of Printing
The story of the Museum begins with Alan Connell, the founder of the museum who had a desire back in 1987 to develop a "working museum" of letterpress printing machinery and equipment.
As the story goes, many years had to pass before Alan's dream was able to be fully realised via a Commonwealth Government Federation Fund Grant. The Penrith Museum of Printing was officially opened on the 2 June, 2001 by
Ms Jackie Kelly, M.P. for Lindsay, the then Minister for Sport and Tourism.
A large proportion of the machinery and equipment on display originally started its working life in the Nepean Times Newspaper in Penrith, NSW Australia, while many other items have been donated by present and or past printing establishments.
The museum is managed and operated fully by volunteers and is a Not-for-Profit incorporated association.
Our mission is to showcase letterpress printing equipment and techniques for present and future generations.
To avoid disappointment please send us a email or call for bookings, 0415 625 573 or
New addition to the museum
The Columbian donated by Fairfax was repainted and positioned in a pride of place. The machine was invented in 1816 and considered a major breakthrough and in fact the SMH was printed on this type of press some 140 years ago. This particular model, number 937 was manufactured in England in 1841. Delivered by ship to Sydney then transported by Bullock cart across the Blue mountains in 1872 where it commenced printing the Carcoar Chronicle until 1939 when the publication ceased. It sat rusting in the backyard until bought by John Fairfax and Sons Ltd in 1973. The machine was restored by engineering apprentices of the company to perfect working order and on display at Fairfax HQ until recently. This press will now be the oldest piece of operating equipment in our fine museum. We will have it operating as part of our tours along side the Albion 1864 model.